It is important for you to know a bit about me. I have four children of my own who are grown now. I have grandchildren.
In the past, I was the nurse and counselor for worked hundreds of children and families at an independent K-12 school in Colorado Springs. In 2007 I was honored to receive the Memorial Fund Award for the good care and support I had provided across the campus.
I have also worked at TESSA providing individual and group therapy to women and children in crisis due to situations of domestic violence.
Community outreach is another component of my life. At this time I actively support 1) The Grief Workshop at First Presbyterian Church and, 2) The National Alliance for Mental Illness.
Throughout my career as a nurse and counselor, I have been interested in learning more about the significant connections between the body and the mind. I deeply believe that when thoughts and emotions are out-of-balance, the body's health is compromised. Not only can sleep be effected but frequent headaches and stomachaches are also common complaints when the mind is in turmoil. I believe true wellness incorporates both the body and the mind.
And for me, there is always more to learn! Attending conferences and receiving additional training connects me to others in the field and provides ongoing intellectual challenge. The following represent some of my interests:
- Daniel Sweeney's, Transforming Lives through Connections
- Jerry Moe's, Helping Children from Addicted Families Build their Strength
- Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Training
- International Conference on Choice Theory, William Glasser
- Self-Regulation - Effective Strategies for Children with ADHD, Autism, Learning Disabilities or Sensory Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders in Children and Adolescents, Recognizing and Treating the Emerging Epidemic
- Certified Victims' Advocate for Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault
- Solutions for Marriages that are Stuck, Dr. Barry Ham
- Understanding Depression and Bipolar, INR
- Personality Disorders, Dr. Jeff Riggenbach
- Positive Psychology, INR home study
- Nutritional and Integrative Interventions for Mental Health Disorders, Dr Anne Procyk
I have lived in Colorado most of my life. Like almost everyone in this state, I, too, love the out-of-doors in every season! My little dog, Jazzie, is a great hiker and friend to all.
- LPN, Emily Griffith Opportunity School, Denver, CO
- BS, Colorado Christian University, Organizational Management
- MS of Counseling, University of Phoenix, Marriage, Family and Child